turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

g-k-

How do I enter an owner-occupied duplex in TT? I bought the building in 2018 and live in one unit while renting out the other.

How do I enter an owner-occupied duplex in TT? I bought the building in 2018 and live in one unit while renting out the other. So I need to set it up in TT such that the rental unit and my unit are defined correctly with the appropriate depreciation going to the rental.

Do I first enter the rental unit in the income section, with the mortgage interest, insurance and other expenses allocated to it? Or do I enter the house purchase and mortgage interest in the itemized deductions first? Do you have to manually allocate the expenses to both units or do you enter all of them in one place and set a % which TT then uses to allocate them to each unit separately?

When you set up a new rental property, you enter the purchase price, escrow fees etc. that was paid for the entire building (rental+owner unit). How do you adjust those amounts so that the correct depreciation amount is applied to rental and self-occupied units?

Some guidance will be much appreciated.  

Thanks,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

How do I enter an owner-occupied duplex in TT? I bought the building in 2018 and live in one unit while renting out the other.

In the rental section there are two spots to indicate this. Say that it is a multi-family and that it is a duplex. See screenshot in the answer.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Duplex entries.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies