turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I inherited mineral rights. Then leased the rights to an exploration company. Do I claim inherited rental? I rented after the inheritance?

I have a fractional ownership, but the 1099-Misc only has my part.  Do I say I own all of my part?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

I inherited mineral rights. Then leased the rights to an exploration company. Do I claim inherited rental? I rented after the inheritance?

In reference to your question, please see the detailed answer to another (highly similar) question on Royalty (rental) income that is posted here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3621165

It has to do with income reported on a Form 1099-MISC as well.  That advise, and those mechanical steps, should work the same for you too.

That said, with respect to the other part of your question, it would be a reasonable answer to say (and to input in TurboTax if asked) that your fractional ownership is actually 100% (of that fractional piece), as long as the income represented on your 1099-MISC is entirely yours, and you don't have to sub-divide it or share it among other landowners or inheritors.  In other words, if you own 100% of the amounts shown on your 1099-MISC, then you can say you own 100% (for purposes of working with the tax software).

Thank you for asking this question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

In reference to your question, please see the detailed answer to another (highly similar) question on Royalty (rental) income that is posted here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3621165

It has to do with income reported on a Form 1099-MISC as well.  That advise, and those mechanical steps, should work the same for you too.

That said, with respect to the other part of your question, it would be a reasonable answer to say (and to input in TurboTax if asked) that your fractional ownership is actually 100% (of that fractional piece), as long as the income represented on your 1099-MISC is entirely yours, and you don't have to sub-divide it or share it among other landowners or inheritors.  In other words, if you own 100% of the amounts shown on your 1099-MISC, then you can say you own 100% (for purposes of working with the tax software).

Thank you for asking this question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies