Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JV20
Level 1

Import dividends

I have been entering dividends manually. I now would like a brokerage 1099 to be entered through import. However, I am no longer given the import option. How do I get back to where I have the import option?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomK100
Expert Alumni

Import dividends

You can securely import your 1099-B, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-OID, or 1099-R into TurboTax, provided your broker or financial institution participates in our TurboTax Partner program.

When you get to the place in TurboTax where we ask if you received that form, answer Yes and we'll give you the option to import.

You can also jump straight to the section for your specific 1099 form. Here's how:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and open or continue your return. 
  2. Search for 1099-? and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Follow the screens and you’ll be able to import your form.

Tip: Be sure to select the right financial institution or brokerage from the list. For example, several participating partners' names start with First National Bank and if you select the wrong First National Bank, you won't be able to import.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

10 Replies
TomK100
Expert Alumni

Import dividends

You can securely import your 1099-B, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-OID, or 1099-R into TurboTax, provided your broker or financial institution participates in our TurboTax Partner program.

When you get to the place in TurboTax where we ask if you received that form, answer Yes and we'll give you the option to import.

You can also jump straight to the section for your specific 1099 form. Here's how:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and open or continue your return. 
  2. Search for 1099-? and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Follow the screens and you’ll be able to import your form.

Tip: Be sure to select the right financial institution or brokerage from the list. For example, several participating partners' names start with First National Bank and if you select the wrong First National Bank, you won't be able to import.

md01803

Import dividends

I am using the PC download version and was manually entering dividends. now I want to import them but the screen to import does not appear. 

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Import dividends

@md01803 see the response from TomK100

Import dividends

I tried the procedure as outlined, but I'm not given the "Import" option.  I just get a page for me to enter the info manually.  Is there some other step I need to follow?

Thanks.

rjvlem
Returning Member

Import dividends

I am also having an issue with it allowing me to import the data.  It tells me I need to log in to intuit account, but then doesn't allow that.  Is anyone else running into this?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Import dividends

@rjvlem  Some forms are not available for import, please see the TurboTax FAQ's below for more information: 

ouqiwu

Import dividends

Hi,

I Imported 1099-DIV from Vanguard. When I reviewed, 

At first I found out that there were a lot item with 0.00 value.  I deleted all items with 0.00 value.

After I found out there were 2 more items. One was duplicated with one already in.  Another one I could not figure out where it came from. I called Vanguard. They could not figure it neither. I deleted these 2 strange items.

What is the reason?

What is the right approach to handle there error?

I am ready to file. But I must get answer before I file it.

Thanks 

ouqiwu

Import dividends

Hi,

I Imported 1099-DIV from Vanguard.

When I reviewed, I found out that there were a lot item with 0.00 value.  I deleted all items with 0.00 value.

After deleting items with 0.00 value, I found out there were 2 more strange items. One was duplicated with one already in.  Another one I could not figure out where it came from. I called Vanguard. They could not figure it neither. I deleted these 2 strange items.

The remained 7 items matched with 1099-DIV.

What is the reason?

What is the right approach to handle there error?

I am ready to file. But I must get answer before I file it.

Thanks 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Import dividends

It is hard to tell.  For some imports, it goes very smooth and others, not so much.  It also relates to  which company you are dealing with.  Sometimes you need to update your settings in your Fidelity online account to allow an accurate import. And that's why manually entering information generally works better.   If you are filing with TurboTax online, these steps might help:

• Check your internet connection.  Try to log out and sign back in the program. 
  • Clear your cache and sign back into the program.  To clear cache, click here: Cache
  • You may also try a different browser.  

A Form 1099-DIV is issued by banks or financial institutions when taxpayers received dividends and other distributions.  As IRS also receives a copy of the form, it is important to report it correctly as to match their record.  The amounts from the Form 1099-DIV will show on line 3a and 3b on your Form 1040.

Import dividends

as stated sometimes an import just doesn't work.  what is important is that you checked.  it is crucial that anything imported be checked for correctness and completeness. Turbotax takes no responsibility if some is imported incorrectly.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies