Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where should a Utility tractor be depreciated when used on Tree Farm and general use in maintaining rental property.

1 - Purchase compact utility tractor for used on Tree Farm,. At present no income as no trees have been cut and sold.

2 - Equipment is also used in general to maintain rental property.

3 - Where and how should I depreciate this asset.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where should a Utility tractor be depreciated when used on Tree Farm and general use in maintaining rental property.

If you maintain an orchard, nut trees or operate a greenhouse for trees it is surely a depreciating asset in business. Claiming tractor use on forest or timber land is a grey area. They grow with no cultivation and generally no income for decades.

If it is used to maintain rental property, it can be a "usual and ordinary business expense", depending on the rental. If it is used partly for personal use, you can just take a percentage of the tractor cost as business use and still depreciate it.

You would depreciate the tractor in your Rental Property section. Find the asset entry section for that rental. I have included a page snip below though I know it's a little different than your Premier version. I'm using H&B.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you maintain an orchard, nut trees or operate a greenhouse for trees it is surely a depreciating asset in business. Claiming tractor use on forest or timber land is a grey area. They grow with no cultivation and generally no income for decades.

If it is used to maintain rental property, it can be a "usual and ordinary business expense", depending on the rental. If it is used partly for personal use, you can just take a percentage of the tractor cost as business use and still depreciate it.

You would depreciate the tractor in your Rental Property section. Find the asset entry section for that rental. I have included a page snip below though I know it's a little different than your Premier version. I'm using H&B.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies