Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am i double deducting mortgage interest if its in the rental section and mortgage interest section?

Should I include the 1098 for mortgage interest in both the rental section of turbo tax (under "Wages & income") and in the Mortgage Interest section of turbo tax (under "Deductions & Credits").  It doesn't look like turbo tax gives me credit for the mortgage interest on my rental unless I include it in the "Mortgage Interest, Refinancing,..." section.  However, I'm concerned that by doing this I'm double deducting the mortgage interest.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Melaine

Am i double deducting mortgage interest if its in the rental section and mortgage interest section?

If you have rental income, you will put the mortgage interest (and estate tax) on the Schedule E, for instructions on how to enter it here and only here, see blog below.   Do not put in the Mortgage Interest section under Deductions & Credit.  The mortgage interest is offset by the income that it is associated with.  Everything for your rental property, income, expenses, mortgage, absolutely everything, will be entered in this section concerning your rental income and expenses. As you go through the software answering questions regarding your rental, you will also get the opportunity to deduct other expenses that may be associated with it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288530

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies