turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the system is giving a "Check This Entry" for Schedule E questions but I don't have and am not claiming Rental Income, what should I do?

I have not had rental income for several years and only need a Form 8582.  Turbo Tax questions about Schedule E only came up in the review, not as I was answering the tax return questions.  The system will not accept my answer that I have 0 days of rental.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JillS56
Expert Alumni

If the system is giving a "Check This Entry" for Schedule E questions but I don't have and am not claiming Rental Income, what should I do?

For some reason, TurboTax seems to think you have rental property.   To get rid of the Schedule E in your return do the following:

1. Open Turbotax if it is not already opened and go to the Federal section;
  2. Click on Income and Expenses and 
  3. Scroll down to Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E);
  4. Select Edit/Add
  5. If there is a rental property listed, then click on the trash can to delete the rental property.
  6. This should take care of your issue.

You can also remove a form by:

You can remove the rental property that was entered by mistake in the delete a form section of turbo tax:

•    Login to your TurboTax account online
  •    Click the orange Take me to my return button
  •    In the upper right corner, click My Account > Tools.
  •    In the pop-up window, select Delete a form. 
  •    Click Delete next to the Schedule E form that you would like  to delete and follow the onscreen instructions.

If you had rental on your return at one time and you have used TurboTax in the past, something may have carried forward to this year.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your answer but I don't think it addresses my issue.  I have a passive activity loss from the previous rental of my current residence which has been carried forward on Form 8582 since 2017.   When transferring my 2021 Turbotax return (desktop version) to Turbotax online, this may have triggered the Schedule E worksheet.  Although I no longer have any rental income, Turbotax keeps bringing up the Schedule E worksheet and telling me to "Check this entry."   It will not accept my answer of 0 days rented and tells me that the number of days rented must be greater than or equal to 15.  I'm afraid that if I delete the Schedule E worksheet, the application will not generate a Form 8582.  Please let me know how to generate a Form 8582 without encountering the Schedule E worksheet problem.

Thank you,

Christine

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

It should not make any difference to your return to include a schedule E that has nothing but zeroes on it. But I would attempt to delete the schedule E first and then - if the program needs a schedule E in order to carry your loss forward - tell it it was available for 15 days and the income was all zeroes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks this was helpful.
I accidently added an extra property and didn't fill it out and it ended up prompting me to add data onto the bare tax forms. 

After deleting the accidental property entry "Blank form" I could successfully file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies