Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tmidd

If I earned royalties and paid tax in a second state do I need to file for that state?

How about West Virginia for 2023?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If I earned royalties and paid tax in a second state do I need to file for that state?

Assuming your are asking what the filing threshold is for West Virginia, you must file if you have West Virginia source income if you are a nonresident or part-year resident.  See page 19 'Who must File' in this link.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
skalyomi

For my situation, I live in Florida and have nominal mineral royalties (less than $3k) from West Virginia and have paid the tax deducted from my royalties do I still need to file a West Virginia state tax return?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Less than $3k sounds like more the $2k which means filing a return unless  you meet an exception. WV Instructions page 17 states:

You are required to file a West Virginia return even though you may not be required to file a federal return if: 

• Your West Virginia adjusted gross income is greater than your allowable deduction for personal exemptions ($2,000 per exemption, or $500 if you claim zero exemptions). Your income is to be determined as if you had been required to file a federal return. Your exemptions are to be determined following the rules on page 24. 

• You are claiming a SCTC or HEPTC credit 

• You are due a refund. You are not required to file a West Virginia return if you and your spouse are 65 or older and your total income is less than your exemption allowance plus the senior citizen modification. For example, $2,000 per exemption plus up to $8,000 of income received by each taxpayer who is 65 or older. However, if you are entitled to a refund you must file a return.

@skalyomi 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies