Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I wrote a book 15 years ago and had been reporting royalties on schedule C. I am now retired. Do I now report my royalties on schedule E since I no longer write?

I had still been attempting to write until this year but have had nothing published. I am no longer writing at all but still receiving meager royalties.  I have found conflicting answers on Turbo Tax support.  I have attached the one that seems appropriate for my situation But I have also read posts that state that all royalties for having written a book in the past should be reported on schedule C. Thank you in advance for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I wrote a book 15 years ago and had been reporting royalties on schedule C. I am now retired. Do I now report my royalties on schedule E since I no longer write?

Yes. If the Income from 1099-MISC is reflected in Box 2 it will be reported on Schedule E with your Tax Return. Per the IRS: Royalties from copyrights, patents, and oil, gas, and mineral properties are taxable as ordinary income.

Please follow the directions below to enter your royalty income:

Type in royalty income in the search box (upper right side of screen)

Click the jump to royalty income link.

On the next screen titled "Income from Rentals or Royalty Property You Own", answer yes.

Answer the interview questions to input your royalty income. 

On the page titled Is "This a Rental Property or Royalty" you will enter your own address for the property address.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Yes. If the Income from 1099-MISC is reflected in Box 2 it will be reported on Schedule E with your Tax Return. Per the IRS: Royalties from copyrights, patents, and oil, gas, and mineral properties are taxable as ordinary income.

Please follow the directions below to enter your royalty income:

Type in royalty income in the search box (upper right side of screen)

Click the jump to royalty income link.

On the next screen titled "Income from Rentals or Royalty Property You Own", answer yes.

Answer the interview questions to input your royalty income. 

On the page titled Is "This a Rental Property or Royalty" you will enter your own address for the property address.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies