Solved: I work and live in Ohio. However, I am co-signing a rental lease in California. Would I have to pay any additional tax because of this and if so, how much more.

bhatnagar_2

I work and live in Ohio. However, I am co-signing a rental lease in California. Would I have to pay any additional tax because of this and if so, how much more.

You mean the other person can't qualify for the lease on his/her own? Will you ever be living there?
bhatnagar_2

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the other person can not qualify on her own. I will be visiting CA ocassionally but spending less than 20% (non zero) of my time there.
bhatnagar_2

Thanks for the link. I found the following explanation:

"How California taxes residents, nonresidents, and part-year residents

California residents - Taxed on ALL income, including income from sources outside California.
    Nonresidents of California - Taxed only on income from California sources.
    Part-year residents of California - Taxed on all income received while a resident and only on income from California sources while a nonresident."

I think I would qualify as a nonresident or part time resident at best. It seems that in either case since I am not earning anything from a California source, I would not pay any extra tax because of this lease. Is that correct? Thanks!
Hal_Al

From what you describe, you are a non resident and do not need to file a CA return at all.
bhatnagar_2

I see. Okay, thanks a lot for resolving this for me.