turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Loriaff
Returning Member

I want to file my rental reimbursement for 2020 it won’t let me do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Loriaff , I am not sure I understand your question -- so please tell me more -->

(a) are you a renter whom have received a refund from the landlord  ? OR

(b) are  you an landlord whom had to refund  the deposits ( security / last month/pet deposit etc. ) back to the renter ?

(c) are you a landlord  whom have been reimbursed for damages by  renter or by insurance?

(d)  OR ??

I ask because  in case you are a renter, the refund of the deposit is not a tax event.  If you are a landlord, the return of deposits  do not constitute an income and therefore not a tax event.  The insurance  reimbursement may be a tax event depending on circumstances  and facts on the ground.  Therefore please tell me more 

@Loriaff And....it is too late to e-file anything for 2019 and too soon to e-file anything for tax year 2020.  The system is in transition from 2019 to 2020.  Nothing can be e-filed at this time.  

This is only a guess---but are you trying to do something with a renter's  credit for a state return?  If so, for what state?  And what tax year?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Loriaff
Returning Member

Thanku u answered my question 

Loriaff
Returning Member

Will it let do this if I’m not filing taxes.. for the year 2020.

You cannot prepare a rent credit form using TurboTax unless you prepare a federal and state return using the TurboTax software.  Go to the state's tax web site to get the form and prepare it by hand.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901670-how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies