Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've 1 house with 2 1098s. I refinanced the original loan for improvements. On 1st 1098 do I say no this is the original loan I used to buy my home? And on 2nd say yes?

This is the question I have with regards to answering the Turbo Tax question: Is this loan a home equity line of credit or a loan you've ever refinanced.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

I've 1 house with 2 1098s. I refinanced the original loan for improvements. On 1st 1098 do I say no this is the original loan I used to buy my home? And on 2nd say yes?

If the loan was refinanced or moved to a different lender in 2020 and you have two 1098's to enter:

First, delete both 1098's if you  started to enter them. Do NOT try to edit them.

Enter the older loan first, enter box 2 as it is reported, 

THERE WILL BE A SCREEN ASKING "WAS THIS LOAN PAID OFF OR SOLD IN 2020?"  CLICK "YES" 

(this screen will not appear if you go back and edit)

Continue through the interview

Next, enter the second 1098

If box 2 is blank, enter zero, otherwise enter what is in box 2. DO NOT LEAVE IT BLANK

Continue through the interview questions. Do not select that it is a HELC. 

Since you clicked that the first 1098 was paid off or refinanced with a different lender, the mortgage balances (box 2) will not be added together. 

Thanks for your response.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies