Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold stock shares from an inheritance at the value inherited, ie no gain. I received 1099B, do they need to be reported since inherited? If so, how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I sold stock shares from an inheritance at the value inherited, ie no gain. I received 1099B, do they need to be reported since inherited? If so, how?

Absolutely, the IRS gets a copy and without you reporting the circumstances, all they see is the gain.

Here is information on where to enter the sale of stock:

To enter an investment sale from a brokerage account (1099-B), follow the steps below.

• Click on Federal Taxes 
  • Click on Wages and Income
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • Under Investment Income
  • On Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button

When asked how you got the stock, there is a place to indicate that it was inherited.

it's under investment income - sale of stocks.  for date acquired type inherited.  failure to report the sale and tax basis and the IRS assumes your  tax basis is zero which results in a bill. then you have to file an amended return or respond as directed in the iRS notice

Thank you for this response, very thorough and easy steps to follow...I am now awaiting the ability to amned my 2022 already submitted return.

Thank you for this response, very thorough and easy steps to follow...I am now awaiting the ability to amend my 2022 already submitted return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies