turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

babbitts

I share a space with two others. They give me their portion of the rent payment and I pay the full rent to the landlord. Is that income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

I share a space with two others. They give me their portion of the rent payment and I pay the full rent to the landlord. Is that income?

No, that sounds like you have roommates. If you aren't keeping the rental payments for yourself (turning it over to the landlord), then that is not rental income.

However, if you are renting a part of your space to others and they pay more than their proportionate share of rent to you, then that would be rental income to you.

Ex: You lease a space for $1200. Roommates share would be $400 each. But you charge them $600 each instead. The $200 ($400 for both) is rental income to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

No, that sounds like you have roommates. If you aren't keeping the rental payments for yourself (turning it over to the landlord), then that is not rental income. However, if you are renting a part of your space to others and they pay more than their proportionate share of rent to you, then that would be rental income to you. Ex: You lease a space for $1200. Roommates share would be $400 each. But you charge them $600 each instead. The $200 ($400 for both) is rental income to you.

OP is asking from TT Self-Employed. This sounds like a business rental, as Op used the word "space," not home..
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

No, that sounds like you have roommates. If you aren't keeping the rental payments for yourself (turning it over to the landlord), then that is not rental income.

However, if you are renting a part of your space to others and they pay more than their proportionate share of rent to you, then that would be rental income to you.

Ex: You lease a space for $1200. Roommates share would be $400 each. But you charge them $600 each instead. The $200 ($400 for both) is rental income to you.

I have a question here. Then the person need to declare the total lease payment or only the portion he/she needs to pay?

Declare where? Is this for a business?  Or for a state tax rent deduction/credit?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies