Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I rent a space above my attached garage (studio apartment) is this considered a rental property? Can i claim a percentage of property taxes / insurance on this space?

My home has an attached garage with a studio apartment above the garage (separate entrance) is this considered a rental property - can i file rental expenses and income (can i claim a portion of my property taxes and insurance on this space as well?)

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

I rent a space above my attached garage (studio apartment) is this considered a rental property? Can i claim a percentage of property taxes / insurance on this space?

Yes, this is considered a rental property. You can deduct the proportionate share of the property taxes, insurance and other expenses including depreciation for the rental space, against your rental income. All income/expenses are reported on a schedule E.

You will need to set up the rental under the Rental and Royalty section. When setting it up, indicate that you are renting a part of your home. You will be asked question on the number of days rented if less than the entire year. For the personal use days you will enter 0 if you did not ever use the rental once it was placed in service.

The rental section is quite extensive. Comment back here or post specific questions on the AnswerXchange as you go if you need assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, this is considered a rental property. You can deduct the proportionate share of the property taxes, insurance and other expenses including depreciation for the rental space, against your rental income. All income/expenses are reported on a schedule E.

You will need to set up the rental under the Rental and Royalty section. When setting it up, indicate that you are renting a part of your home. You will be asked question on the number of days rented if less than the entire year. For the personal use days you will enter 0 if you did not ever use the rental once it was placed in service.

The rental section is quite extensive. Comment back here or post specific questions on the AnswerXchange as you go if you need assistance.

Does the garage space (not the above studio apartment) figure into the proportionate calculation?  Thanks for such a fast response!!
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

You would include it if it was available for use by the rental apartment. If for your personal use, then not included.

Do you list the rental property as an asset to depreciate over time, and if so how do you determine the value since it's part of the home?

I currently don’t list it as an asset that depreciates over time.  I’m also asking TurboTax if they can answer this.  Thank you

Ok thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies