turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

danjuan22

I purchased a primary residence in 2005 for $269k, converted to rental in 2013 with $170k fmv, and sold in 2016 for $225k. Did I really just realize a gain of $55k?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I purchased a primary residence in 2005 for $269k, converted to rental in 2013 with $170k fmv, and sold in 2016 for $225k. Did I really just realize a gain of $55k?

No, you don't have any gain or loss.

TurboTax is not set up to properly guide you for this (it would make you pay taxes on $55,000).  This answer may help you report it:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2936029-sale-of-rental-property?jump_to=answer_4870589

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No, you don't have any gain or loss.

TurboTax is not set up to properly guide you for this (it would make you pay taxes on $55,000).  This answer may help you report it:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2936029-sale-of-rental-property?jump_to=answer_4870589

danjuan22

You are my savior. I've been working on that for days not understanding how one clause puts me at a loss, but the lesser of them somehow puts me at a gain. Having neither gain or loss makes sense, splitting the difference. Thank you for your prompt response!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies