Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wenhew

I ordered a paint work done in Dec. 2017 for my rental house and the payment was made in Jan. 18. Can I claim the expense in my 2017 tax return? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I ordered a paint work done in Dec. 2017 for my rental house and the payment was made in Jan. 18. Can I claim the expense in my 2017 tax return? Thanks!

No, if are on a cash basis, it would be deducted in the year you pay it. If you make the funds AVAILABLE, for instance, write a check in December, it is considered as paid in December. It does not matter if the funds had been drawn before the end of the year, only that the check was given or mailed before the end of the year. 

[Edited 03.10.18 | 12:20PM]

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

No, if are on a cash basis, it would be deducted in the year you pay it. If you make the funds AVAILABLE, for instance, write a check in December, it is considered as paid in December. It does not matter if the funds had been drawn before the end of the year, only that the check was given or mailed before the end of the year. 

[Edited 03.10.18 | 12:20PM]

wenhew

Thanks a lot, TurboxtaxKristD, for your lightning speed answer! I paid by check, the check date was 12/27/17, but the fund was drawn on 1/4/18. Does this mean I need to deduct it in 2018? Thanks again!
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If you wrote the check in 2017, it is an expense for 2017. It is when the funds were made available. (does not matter about the bank being closed or holidays) . Technically you paid in 2017 if the check was written and given to the vendor or dropped into the mailbox.
wenhew

Thanks again, TurboxtaxKristD, for your great help! Have a Blessed day!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies