Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved from California to another state. I had capital gains/losses, almost all in the stock market. How do I interpret the Allocating Capital Gain or Loss screen?

This question is confusing, how do I calculate the amount? "Earned/Rec'd From CA Source as if CA Nonresident for Full Year" What's considered a CA Source and am I really supposed to imagine myself as if I'm a nonresident of CA? Help me understand, hehehe.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I moved from California to another state. I had capital gains/losses, almost all in the stock market. How do I interpret the Allocating Capital Gain or Loss screen?

For the sale of stocks that occurred while you were living in California, allocate those gains and losses to to California.  If the sale occurred after you became a resident of another state, allocate the gain/loss to that other state.  If you sold California real estate or a business interest located in California, allocate it to California.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the quick response man. That's helpful, but my mind can't really twist itself around the "treat yourself as if your somebody else" thing. Can you help me figure out how to calculate that number. And now that I have images, here's the screen I'm referring to. Thanks again!

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 8.37.51 PM.png

MayaD
Expert Alumni

CA should only be taxing you on what was received while living there.

Enter 0 for "Earned/rec'd from CA source as if CA nonresident for full year" and for "Earned/rec'd from CA source while a CA nonresident"

For "Earned/rec'd while a CA resident" enter the amount of stocks sold before moving out of CA.

Very good, thanks so much. What a monumental task this will be.

I think it would help me greatly if I understood how TurboTax comes up with the number shown -$252 (see image). I mean the actual sources, not just in theory. Can I determine what the source of that number is? 

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 5.20.51 AM.png

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If TurboTax determined that you would have a net loss of $252 if all of your capital gain/ loss was from California, you could check your capital gain/loss on your Federal return to see if it matches.

You can preview your return before filing to view the forms that TurboTax has prepared from your entries and to find out how your taxes were calculated. See here for details. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies