turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mattkuzz

I made over $150,000 in 2017. I have a rental property that was rented 100%. Can I claim the property tax and/or split the mortgage interest on my personal deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
LisaBr

I made over $150,000 in 2017. I have a rental property that was rented 100%. Can I claim the property tax and/or split the mortgage interest on my personal deduction?

You can claim the Property Tax and Mortgage Interest deduction on the Rental Property as part of your expenses. 

If the Rental Property is also your personal home, then you can allocate the Property Tax and Mortgage Interest based on the days rented if you rented the entire home for a certain number of days in the year.  Or the square footage of the rental space.

However, you cannot deduct the Property Tax or Mortgage Interest of your personal home if there is no relationship to your rental property.

The following link describes deductions that can be taken on your rental property:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/rental-property/rental-property-deductions-you-can-take-at-tax-...

mattkuzz

I own and live in a different house. Since I make too much money to deduct all of my expenses since they were more than my income I was hoping I could deduct the property tax on my personal side like it was just a second home. Even though I had it rented 100%.

You can't.  Remember that the passive losses are suspended and carried over to future tax years, and become active if you sell the rental.
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Or they can be used to offset other passive income if you have any prior to selling the property.
mattkuzz

I can’t carry any over because I make over $150k. Turbo tax says I have -$4,000 for income but $0 are eligible. My thought was if I could move the property taxes over to my personal side I could use all of that as a deduction and I would have a smaller negative on my rental income that still isn’t eligible. Are you saying I can’t do that?

You can't do that. The rental expenses are not personal Itemized deductions.
mattkuzz

Even if the house is in my name and not a business?

Yes.  Give it up.  You CAN carry over the passive losses to future tax years, regardless of your income level.  Consult a tax professional if you don't like the answers you are getting here.

My son had carried his rental losses forward to recover them when property was sold.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies