turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nadavm

I'm using RobinHood and have received $.99 of dividends this year (and haven't sold any stocks). I'm not seeing any tax document (1099) generated. How can i report it?

Robinhood claims they will generate a 1099 form for each year i've received dividends of more than $10. This year i only got 99 cents of dividends so no document generated. (also, i haven't sold any stocks). How can i report those dividends?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm using RobinHood and have received $.99 of dividends this year (and haven't sold any stocks). I'm not seeing any tax document (1099) generated. How can i report it?

Just enter it "as if" you received a 1099-DIV.  Even though brokers aren't required to prepare 1099-DIV's if the amount involved is less that $10 your legal obligation is to report all income, including your $1 of dividends.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Just enter it "as if" you received a 1099-DIV.  Even though brokers aren't required to prepare 1099-DIV's if the amount involved is less that $10 your legal obligation is to report all income, including your $1 of dividends.

Tom Young

taxhero2

What I should enter as Payer's ID number? Robinhood or the individual stocks?

Robinhood.
taxhero2

Thanks for your prompt response! I have two more question regarding this:

Q1) Should I enter Robinhood or AMEX Clearing as the payer's name? (I am asking this because I have searched for Robinhoods' federal ID number but I only found APEX ID number on their website)

Q2) If I received small dividends (less than $1) from multiple stocks should I lump them together and report as if it was reported on one 1099-DIV or should I treat them as if I have received multiple 1099-DIVs each of which with different amounts?

Q1) It really doesn't matter, actually, as all that gets transmitted in your income tax return is the NAME of the payee, not the ID number.  Remember, the IRS can't really "match" this amount to anything because no 1099-DIV was issued.  

Q2) Lumping together is fine.  It's really the dollars that is the important information here.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies