Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a musician. Can I write off payments for a piano I financed in 2016, but began using for business in 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

I'm a musician. Can I write off payments for a piano I financed in 2016, but began using for business in 2019?

No, you can not write off your payments from 2016 through 2018 because you did not use the piano for business purposes.  

This link The Musician's Guide to Taxes: Top Tax Deductions has information for musicians that you may find useful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

No, what you paid for the piano is never deductible under any circumstance. If you are self employed and the piano is used in the production of income (and I doubt it is) and report your musical business income on SCH C, then the piano is a business asset that gets depreciated (not deducted) over time. Depreciation is never a permanent deduction. Depreciation is recaptured and taxed in the year you dispose of the business asset. So while it can be depreciated if used in the production of business income (and I seriously doubt it is) you will at some point be recapturing that depreciation and paying taxes on it in the year you sell or otherwise dispose of the piano.

singah22

Hi @LeonardS 

Thanks for including the link to The Musician's Guide. I am receiving mixed messages about the "Musical Events" topic, however. I have been seeing that only 50% of business meals can be written off while at an event, but not the cost of any ticket to the event. If event ticketing can be written off, what category should it be under? 

Many thanks!

RobertG
Expert Alumni

You should enter them under 'Other miscellaneous expenses' on Schedule C.

Deductions often overlooked by musicians are the costs of such things as tickets, transportation, and parking, incurred when you attend other musicians' performances. You attend these performances in order to enjoy them, but also to learn about musical trends, which makes them deductible.  The Musician's Guide to Taxes: Top Tax Deductions

@singah22

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies