turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived in a house for 6 years, I then moved out and rented it for 3 years (Jan 1 2016 - dec 31 2018) if I sell the house next few months do I have to pay capital gains ?

The house was rented for exactly 3 years and now I’m trying to decide if I should continue renting or sell but I’m trying to avoid paying capital gain taxes 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I lived in a house for 6 years, I then moved out and rented it for 3 years (Jan 1 2016 - dec 31 2018) if I sell the house next few months do I have to pay capital gains ?

Yes. You missed the window to sell the home and get the principal residence sale exclusion. You had to have sold it by 12-31-18.  The rule is that you must have lived in the home for at least 2 of the 5 years prior to sale. 

You could back in for 2 years and that would reduce the taxable capital gain, not eliminate it (the rules are different depending on whether you lived in it before or after renting it)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. You missed the window to sell the home and get the principal residence sale exclusion. You had to have sold it by 12-31-18.  The rule is that you must have lived in the home for at least 2 of the 5 years prior to sale. 

You could back in for 2 years and that would reduce the taxable capital gain, not eliminate it (the rules are different depending on whether you lived in it before or after renting it)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies