`

I live outside the state of Georgia but have rental properties in the state. After expenses, I did not make a profit in 2019. Do I need to file a Georgia return?

Yes, even if you did not have a profit after expenses, you still need to file a GA return. 

I understand I have to file a return, but I am being asked to pay state taxes despite filing a loss. Does that sound accurate?

I cannot see your return or account here, as this is a public forum. However, this does not sound correct. You may want to very closely double-check your data entry. You may also want to look at your forms. Here's how to look at your current-year return forms:

• In the left-hand menu bar, click on Tax Tools, then click Tools.
  • Under Other helpful links, click View Tax Summary.
  • Your Tax Summary will be displayed. In the left-hand menu bar, you will see a new option: Preview My 1040. Click it, and this will allow you to see the forms. It is important to check your 1040 before you check your state return, as much of your entries on the 1040 will impact the state return.
  • If you want to view your state entries, Click on Tax Home in the left-hand menu bar. In the center of your screen, scroll down until you see State Taxes. Click on it to review your state entries.

Thank you again Gisele for your response. I checked the 1040, and everything appears correct. The mistake seems to lie in the transfer of federal return information to state. My interest and dividends earned from a brokerage and savings account are being transferred to my non-resident state (Georgia), causing me to have to pay taxes in Georgia despite my actual profit in Georgia being <$0 (rental income - expenses = negative). 

I am unable to change the quantities for Dividends and Interest Income from Georgia to my home state (they are greyed out and can't be edited). I would be happy to share my return with you in order to show you thie issues I am having. 

I stand corrected. My federal 1040 looks fine, but the GA Tax Summary shows a non-0 adjusted net income (should be less than 0). I don't know how to change this.

What AGI are you seeing for GA?

@miike-cleary6