turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in NYC and share my rent with a roommate. When I report how much rent I've paid this year, do I report my share or what the entire rent of the apartment is?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LeeM

I live in NYC and share my rent with a roommate. When I report how much rent I've paid this year, do I report my share or what the entire rent of the apartment is?

You would report only the amount that you paid.

You may be referring to the New York City enhanced real property tax credit.

You are entitled to this refundable credit if you:

• had household gross income less than $200,000, 
  • occupied the same New York City residence for six months or more,
  • were a New York City resident for the entire tax year
  • could not be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's federal income tax return,
  • had a residence that was not completely exempted from real property taxes, and
  • must meet the conditions as a homeowner or renter below:
    • As a homeowner, you or your spouse paid real property taxes and any rent you received for nonresidential use of your residence was 20% or less of the total rent received.
    • As a renter, you or a member of your household paid rent for your residence.
How much is the credit?
  • The credit can be as much as $500.
How to claim the credit
  • If you file a New York State personal income tax return, claim this credit on your return by filing Form NYC-208 with your return.
  • If you are not required to file a New York State income tax return, you may still claim this credit.

For additional information on claiming this credit, see Form NYC-208, Claim for New York City Enhanced Real Property Tax Credit, and its instructions.

I have the same situation. So for the AGI would I just put my income or our combined income?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

This is all based on you. Your rent, your income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies