Solved: I live in mass and sold 19k on eBay not as a business. Some stuff was never used and some of it was used, do I have to report it as income? Why?

I live in mass and sold 19k on eBay not as a business. Some stuff was never used and some of it was used, do I have to report it as income? Why?

Some of the items were new and some were sold used, and for less than what we paid originally.

When you sell personal property items from for less than their original cost, you don't need to report income on your tax return, even if you've received a Form 1099-K from Ebay.

If you sold them for more than their original cost, you'll need to report the capital gain.

So would I report the gain minus deductions such as fees and shipping? Do I also deduct the items that were not sold for more than what I paid?

Hi, Jenny.  Yes... if you sold an item for $15 that cost you $10, and shipping was $3, you'd report $2 of income -- $15 minus ($10 + $3).  You wouldn't need to report items that sold for less than what you paid.