investor952

I live in California but had a house in San Antonio, Texas that was as rental for about 15 years. I sold it in 2017. Do I have to pay Texas any taxes on this?

I also depreciated the house for about 15 years. I sold it in 2017. I know I have to file this on my federal taxes and probably California taxes (where I now live) but do I have to pay any taxes on this sale to Texas?...and if so, how? I believe Texas doesn't have income tax but does that include the sale of a rental house? Also, I believe Turbotax has no program for Texas, right? Thanks.

DS30

No - Texas has no state income taxes so you will have no reporting requirement related to your TX rental house sale in TX. If you are resident of CA, then you will have to report the sale on your CA resident state income tax return.

DS30

sandiemendez

In my Ca Federal Tax return process it asked me if I sold my rental property. I said yes. That was it. It never asked me how much? what date? etc. So how would this be recorded in my CA State tax return properly? Please advise.