Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live abroad, and my local broker does not issue 1099-B. How do I report stock sales?

I live abroad, and my local broker does not issue form 1099-B. Therefore, I do not have a 1099-B. What should I do? 

I saw posts by @RayW7  that suggested to "Answer NO to Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement for these sales?" Yet I did not encounter this question throughout filing the return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I live abroad, and my local broker does not issue 1099-B. How do I report stock sales?

I know you don't have a 1099-B, but this will get you to the right place in TurboTax. In the Search box type 1099-b, then click the link that says "Jump to 1099-b." That will take you to a screen that asks "Did you sell any investments in 2020?" Click Yes, and the next screen will ask whether you got a 1099-B. Click No and proceed from there to report the sales.

@rjs , Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, I did not encounter the question that asked me if I received my 1099-B after I answered Yes to "Did you sell any investments in 2020?" I was still required to upload my 1099-B.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies