prayn247

I have rental proper in north Carolina do I need to file a state income tax

Does rental property count as income?

ChristinaS

Yes, rental property in NC would be NC-source income.

I'm a nonresident. Do I have to file?
  • If you are a nonresident, you must file if:
    • you received income for the taxable year from North Carolina sources that was attributable to ownership of any interest in real or tangible personal property in the State or derived from a business, trade, profession, or occupation carried on in North Carolina, or is derived from gambling activities in this State and your total income from all sources both inside and outside the State, exceeds the amount for your filing status shown in the Filing Requirements Chart.

You can see the chart on page 4 below-

If your total income (from anywhere) meets the amount for your status, you have to file NC if you have any income from NC. Even if you have a rental loss, you should still file to report that loss.

ChristinaS

I'm a nonresident. Do I have to file?

You can see the chart on page 4 below-