turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have loss for stock 2018, but I didn't have Schedule D and don't know if the H&R Block filed it for me last year. Can I still add it to Capital Loss Carryover? Thanks!

Line 13 on my 1040 is empty. But I do have D form for California, where line 10 gain/loss from federal Schedule 1 line 13 is empty. I really doubt they filed federal Schedule D for me. May I still able to add the loss amount to Capital Loss Carryover if they didn't file it for me last year? Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I have loss for stock 2018, but I didn't have Schedule D and don't know if the H&R Block filed it for me last year. Can I still add it to Capital Loss Carryover? Thanks!

If the 2018 return is incorrect you need to amend the return to get the true carry over loss amount to go on the 2019 return. 

Thanks a lot! Actually I confirmed with HR Block, they helped me filed 1040NR last year, which on page 4 has the related information. But I still don't know how do fill the schedule d in turbotax for last year. Seems it suppose you have to fill schedule d for previous year. 

Especially I don't know how to fill "Allowable net capital (loss). (2018 Schedule D, line 21)" according to my 1040NR form. Could you help me here? Thanks a lot!

It was last year that I filled form 1040NR, now I'm filling as resident. But doesn't know how to fill the carryover loss for last year because it was form 1040NR and without schedule D. 

Do you mean that turbotax doesn't support who filed 1040NR last year even though they are going to fill 1040 this year as resident alien? Thanks!

How do I enter my capital loss carryover?

Open  your TurboTax return, search for capital loss carryover, and then select the "Jump to" link in the search results.

We'll take you to the screen where you can enter that info from your prior year return.

Related Information:

What is a capital loss carryover?

Thanks Critter, I know how to find the captial loss carryover, but I don't know how to fill the number because I didn't have schedule D last year. 

I can find "Net short-term capital gain or (loss)" and "Net long-term capital gain or (loss). (2018 Schedule D, line 15)" from my 1040NR form. But I don't know how to fill "Allowable net capital (loss). (2018 Schedule D, line 21)". Could you help me with this? Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies