turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a rental property in Illinois and have entered Mortgage Interest paid and Real Estate Taxes Paid under Rental Property Income and expenses.

Later while working on personal deductions, TurboTax asked me again if I had paid any Mortgage Interest. Should re-enter the interest paid on the Personal Deductions page?

For 2016, I rented my Illinois house the entire year and moved to California and rented a home for most of the year. Then in December 2016, I bought a home in California that is now my primary home while still renting the illinois home.  I plan to enter this new home 2016 paid mortgage interests.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

I have a rental property in Illinois and have entered Mortgage Interest paid and Real Estate Taxes Paid under Rental Property Income and expenses.

No, Do not re-enter your mortgage information related to your rental property under the personal section if that property was available for rent or actually rented for the entire 2016 tax year. All the mortgage interest will be allocated to your rental property and you will not have any amount available to deduct as a Schedule A personal itemized deduction.

However, you will want to include all mortgage interest related to your new home purchase under this personal itemized deduction section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies