I have a question about form 8949. Do I have to attach copies of the brokerage statement when I send the form to the IRS?

Only if you are not listing your actual transaction details on your tax return. Did you report that you would provide just the summary of the transactions by type in TurboTax? If so, that means you need to send the details to the IRS:

-If you file by mail, you mail the details with your return

-If you efile the return, you mail the broker info with Form 8453. The 8949 and the rest of your tax return are not mailed

If you complete 8949 with the transactions, no additional information is required as that would be duplicating what is already on Form 8949.