Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmmoat

I got (4) 1099-DIV forms, but they are my kids accounts. Do I need to claim them on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I got (4) 1099-DIV forms, but they are my kids accounts. Do I need to claim them on my taxes?

For the 1099-DIVs for your kids, if that is the only income they received in 2016 and it was less than $1,050 in interest, dividends, and capital gains distributions combined (for each child), then they do not need to report it on any tax return. If they are under 19, you may elect to report this income on the your return as long as the amount is less than $10,500. But this is optional.

NOTE: If the child's income is $10,500 or more, it must be on the child's tax return. It can't be included on the parents' tax return. 

If you decide to include on your return, the election is made on Form 8814, "Parents' Election to Report Child's Interest and Dividends." The first $1,050 of the child's investment income isn't subject to tax, the next $1,050 is subject to tax at 10%, and only the amount over $2,100 will be taxed at the parent's tax rate. 

You can do these steps if you want to include his income from this:

• Then type child income in the Search box in the top right
  • Choose jump to child income and that will walk you through interview for their income. 

Reporting a child's income on a parent's return is largely a convenience, though, rather than a real tax savings. The overall tax might be less if you file a tax return for the child separately instead of adding his or her income to your return, if they are required to file a return. And he'd only be required to file his own return if he meets requirements here https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901402

Other Related Topics:

View solution in original post

1 Reply

For the 1099-DIVs for your kids, if that is the only income they received in 2016 and it was less than $1,050 in interest, dividends, and capital gains distributions combined (for each child), then they do not need to report it on any tax return. If they are under 19, you may elect to report this income on the your return as long as the amount is less than $10,500. But this is optional.

NOTE: If the child's income is $10,500 or more, it must be on the child's tax return. It can't be included on the parents' tax return. 

If you decide to include on your return, the election is made on Form 8814, "Parents' Election to Report Child's Interest and Dividends." The first $1,050 of the child's investment income isn't subject to tax, the next $1,050 is subject to tax at 10%, and only the amount over $2,100 will be taxed at the parent's tax rate. 

You can do these steps if you want to include his income from this:

• Then type child income in the Search box in the top right
  • Choose jump to child income and that will walk you through interview for their income. 

Reporting a child's income on a parent's return is largely a convenience, though, rather than a real tax savings. The overall tax might be less if you file a tax return for the child separately instead of adding his or her income to your return, if they are required to file a return. And he'd only be required to file his own return if he meets requirements here https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901402

Other Related Topics:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies