Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't live in Arkansas, but I am going to buy rental property there. How much of my income is up for taxing on AR1000NR? Just my AR income or all my income?

Just for fictitious details and easy numbers let say I have $100,000 in non AR based income and $5000 income (after expenses) in AR rental property income.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I don't live in Arkansas, but I am going to buy rental property there. How much of my income is up for taxing on AR1000NR? Just my AR income or all my income?

It depends.  However, when most states calculate your nonresident income tax, they factor in all of your income.

So, in your example, suppose Arkansas would assess 5,000 of tax on $100,000 of income.  Since your income is 5% of that amount, your AR tax would be 5% of $5,000, or $250.  (Ficticious tax number.  Arkansas' tax rate may be higher or lower).

If you live in a state with income tax, your resident state also taxes that income.  But they will give you a credit for the tax you must pay to AR on that income so that you are not double-taxed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  However, when most states calculate your nonresident income tax, they factor in all of your income.

So, in your example, suppose Arkansas would assess 5,000 of tax on $100,000 of income.  Since your income is 5% of that amount, your AR tax would be 5% of $5,000, or $250.  (Ficticious tax number.  Arkansas' tax rate may be higher or lower).

If you live in a state with income tax, your resident state also taxes that income.  But they will give you a credit for the tax you must pay to AR on that income so that you are not double-taxed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies