Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought first home in september 2016 how do I claim rent paid to a landlord and what I have paid so far on home in 2016?

It is not giving me rental info only mortgage info? Please help
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I bought first home in september 2016 how do I claim rent paid to a landlord and what I have paid so far on home in 2016?

Rent expense that you paid to your landlord is not tax deductible for federal tax purposes. Some states give you a credit for rent paid, be sure to go through the state questions; if your state offers it, you will be asked about it.

To deduct mortgage interest (not principal) real estate taxes on your home, please visit Deductions & Credits section:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions & Credits
  3. Your Home - you will see Mortgage Interest and Property Taxes sections

Note:  The Rental Section in the TurboTax Premier is for individuals who receive rental income. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Rent expense that you paid to your landlord is not tax deductible for federal tax purposes. Some states give you a credit for rent paid, be sure to go through the state questions; if your state offers it, you will be asked about it.

To deduct mortgage interest (not principal) real estate taxes on your home, please visit Deductions & Credits section:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions & Credits
  3. Your Home - you will see Mortgage Interest and Property Taxes sections

Note:  The Rental Section in the TurboTax Premier is for individuals who receive rental income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies