turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought a note (owner financed loan) on a piece of land. How do I account for the investment and monthly income it generates on my taxes?

The loan is just for the land.  Any structures on the property were added after the original purchase.  Do I need to provide any yearly documents to the person paying back the loan?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I bought a note (owner financed loan) on a piece of land. How do I account for the investment and monthly income it generates on my taxes?

If the monthly income is the repayment of your capital plus interest, then you need only to report the interest income on your return.  You will issue a form 1098-INT to the person who is paying you the interest.  This form is due to the IRS on January 31 of each year.

If you paid less for the note than the capital repayment (e.g.  you paid $8,000 to receive $10,000 in capital repayments, plus interest)  then you will record an installment sale on your return, if the payments will come over two or more tax years.

To record an Installment sale in TurboTax:

• Click on the Search Box and type "Installment Sales" in the window, then Enter
  • Choose "Jump to Installment Sales," which should be the first result
  • On the page "Any Other Property Sales" select the box for "Sales of real estate, cars, or anything else for which you receive payments over two or more tax years (installment sales)" and Continue
  • You may be prompted to upgrade
  • On the Installment Sales page answer Yes to "Do you want to report an installment sale?"
  • Continue through the interview and record the details of your Installment 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If the monthly income is the repayment of your capital plus interest, then you need only to report the interest income on your return.  You will issue a form 1098-INT to the person who is paying you the interest.  This form is due to the IRS on January 31 of each year.

If you paid less for the note than the capital repayment (e.g.  you paid $8,000 to receive $10,000 in capital repayments, plus interest)  then you will record an installment sale on your return, if the payments will come over two or more tax years.

To record an Installment sale in TurboTax:

• Click on the Search Box and type "Installment Sales" in the window, then Enter
  • Choose "Jump to Installment Sales," which should be the first result
  • On the page "Any Other Property Sales" select the box for "Sales of real estate, cars, or anything else for which you receive payments over two or more tax years (installment sales)" and Continue
  • You may be prompted to upgrade
  • On the Installment Sales page answer Yes to "Do you want to report an installment sale?"
  • Continue through the interview and record the details of your Installment 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies