turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Two9
Level 2

I am stuck on 1099B entry display. So, a question is "Date acquired must be entered for stock name" I entered correct date but I cannot go nest step. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I am stuck on 1099B entry display. So, a question is "Date acquired must be entered for stock name" I entered correct date but I cannot go nest step. What should I do?

After enter the 'Date Acquired' , the next field asks for 'Date Sold'.  You should be able to click into this field to enter your info (screenshot).

Click this link for more info on How to Enter 1099-B.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Two9
Level 2

It is different screen. Actually, I am stack on review page. A display shows "Check This Date" which is date acquired must be entered for stock name. And I entered correct date from 1099-B. I cannot go to next page. it going back to same page which is "Check This Date"

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Yes you may need to enter the missing information into Turbo Tax.

It is pretty common to receive a 1099-B with incomplete or missing information.   

If you would like more information about entering missing data, click on button in Turbo Tax.

If your 1099-B is from Chase Bank, there may have been a problem downloading the original 1099-B.  For additional information see the following link:

Information regarding Chase Bank 1099-B downloads

I am having this same issue. It won't let me efile and keeps kicking me back to this Date Acquired page. I have edited the 1099b to add various and it still will not go through. I have tried adding the date and it keeps kicking me back. SOMEONE HELP!

Two9
Level 2

I entered correct date acquired which is on the 1099-B. Still cannot go to next page.

When you get to the review page and get hit with "Check This Entry" -> Form 1099-B Worksheet (...): Date Acquired must be entered for [...], no matter what I do I can't get past that page. It doesn't matter if I enter a date here, or if I go back to Federal->'Incomes' tab and change the date there. It's always stuck here. 

This is a bug. No matter what you do, you can't get past the check. Please fix this.

PLW2

I am stuck on that same issue also. This is all I need to do to finish my 2020 taxes.
When will they fix it?????

In my case, it turned out that it was actually asking me to update the wrong stock entry. i.e. I needed to update my entries for stock A whereas it kept telling me to fix entries for stock B. I had 12 or so entries for A that I needed to fix, but only 1 for stock B that I didn't. So it felt like I was stuck in a loop because it kept showing me the same message ('fix stock B') 5-6 times, which wouldn't have been confusing if it said 'fix stock A' 5-6 times. Once I found the actual entry that was causing the issue, it went away. 

When TurboTax is stuck in a field, it is usually a browser error.  Use the Chrome browser and clear browser data for all time.  Then sign in to TurboTax.  If the error continues, delete that transaction and enter it again.  When it is asking for the wrong transaction that is also caused by a browser error.  

If you sell stocks, bonds, derivatives or other securities through a broker, you can expect to receive one or more copies of Form 1099-B,

This was a 6 hour nightmare for me. Here's what I finally had to do:

1. "Print" my returns to a PDF file. (I had to pay for TurboTax before it would let me do this -- including an extra $50 for State. You either pay or delete. Springing this on us on the "File" step borders on criminal, IMHO.)

2. Search my 1099-M (actually Form 8949) for any entry with a blank cost basis

3. Return to TurboTax (NOT where I left off -- it just hangs!), and revisit Federal Income. 

4. Find the entries that had the missing basis, click Edit, and fill in the missing info.*

Note 1: TurboTax lists the securities alphabetically. I did not see a way to sort or search, so had to navigate through the 48 pages by clicking ">" or "<". Each of these moves you forward/backward by  only one page, and for me, each page took about a minute to load. So if your entries are near the middle, expect a long and tedious process navigating to your entry.  After each edit, you will be kicked back to page one, and will have to start the process all over.  

It was a horrible  experience, but at least I was able to get my taxes filed before the deadline. Needless to say, I will never use TurboTax online again.

*In one of them my broker had specified an "(e)" for "estimated". Apparently TurboTax does not import these. The other two were "cash in lieu". For those I entered a basis of 0.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies