Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am filing a schedule E for my rental income from AirBNB and Subletting. Which category of deductible expense is the rent I paid my landlord during the rental period?

I subletted the room for 153 days, and paid the landlord rent during this time.  Also, I rented the room on AirBNB for 59 days, and paid rent during this time.  I know the rent that I paid during these periods is deductible, but I don't know where in TurboTax to input this expense.  I filed a Schedule E for my rental income, but none of the expense categories TurboTax provides on the Schedule E include rental expense.  Thank you!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelDC

I am filing a schedule E for my rental income from AirBNB and Subletting. Which category of deductible expense is the rent I paid my landlord during the rental period?

If you are listing your property on Airbnb and do not own it (i.e., you are a renter) you should enter that you own it, and that you are an active participant. In terms of your expenses, you can list your rent under "Any Other Expenses?" but only for the months that your unit was available for rent (pro-rate the rent if you only rent part of your property and live in the rest). (See the attached screenshot below. Click to enlarge.)

When TurboTax asks about deprecation and mortgage expense. leave those blank.  You will not depreciate the property. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies