harleygirl_89

I am a Mary Kay consultant. I remodeled my living room to host parties. Can I deduct building supplies purchased?

georgesT

Yes, you may deduct the supplies if exclusively used for your consulting business.

You may be able to claim the home office deduction if your office is used regularly and exclusively for your business and is your principal place of business. In addition, if you received the wage income by working from home for an employer, your home office must be for the convenience of your employer – not just you.

This means if your employer lets you telecommute as an option, you can't take the deduction. However, if your employer doesn't have their own office or workplace, forcing you to work from home, you may be able to claim the deduction.

TurboTax will help you determine if you can claim the deduction and how much the deduction is worth when entering your information.

The home office deduction lets you deduct things like mortgage interest, insurance, utilities, repairs, and depreciation for the portion of your home used for business. It's available to homeowners and renters alike.

See the FAQ answer below on where to enter you home office business expense.