turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1031Me
Returning Member

How to move carryover loss from old property to new property after 1031 exchange?

In 2018 I exchanged a property for another property thru 1031 exchange.

This year, the old property's unallowed loss is listed separately from the new property.

First question: Do I need to add this loss to the new property and get rid of the other property in the tax forms, or do I leave it the way it is and TurboTax will continue to use (accumulate) the losses in the future?

Second question: If I do add it to the new property, where do I do that?

Thanks for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

How to move carryover loss from old property to new property after 1031 exchange?

The 1031 exchange allows you to completely close out the property you sold. Everything from the sold property will move into the new property.

The IRS says:

How do you compute the basis in the new property?

It is critical that you and your tax representative adjust and track basis correctly to comply with Section 1031 regulations.

Gain is deferred, but not forgiven, in a like-kind exchange. You must calculate and keep track of your basis in the new property you acquired in the exchange. 

The basis of property acquired in a Section 1031 exchange is the basis of the property given up with some adjustments.  This transfer of basis from the relinquished to the replacement property preserves the deferred gain for later recognition.  A collateral affect is that the resulting depreciable basis is generally lower than what would otherwise be available if the replacement property were acquired in a taxable transaction. 

When the replacement property is ultimately sold (not as part of another exchange), the original deferred gain, plus any additional gain realized since the purchase of the replacement property, is subject to tax.

For complete 1031 information, please see this link.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is the gain avoided if you eventually make the exchanged property your primary residence?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, the gain is eliminated only if inherited. 

DJFAULDS
Returning Member

Amy:

I was advised by Turbotax to add the loss carryover from the old property to the new property. However, when I viewed my form 8582 I saw that both properties had now the loss carryover.

Is there a better way to transfer the loss carryover from a sold (1031) property to a new property?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@DJFAULDS The purpose of the 1031 is to defer paying taxes on the gains. If you have a loss, I don't know why you would do a 1031 exchange. But, you have your reasons. Since it is done, you would need to carry that loss into the new building. The old building would be marked as sold. Property that has been disposed of, no longer carries a loss. 

DJFAULDS
Returning Member

Thank you Amy for your insights, just to recap:

I have a significant capital gain deferred by using a 1031 exchange. The losses are from operating the rental activity over the years and are all passive losses carryforward each year. I already marked the old building as disposed under a 1031 exchange, but on the 8582 PAL form, it allocated the losses for the year and then added a small loss for the new building (so far so good). I was then advised to input the loss carryover from the old building in TT to the new building. Now the form 8582 has recalculated the carryover losses on both buildings, nothing in TT automatically transferred the old building losses to the new building. Seems wrong but can't get good help from TT!

@DJFAULDS Just to let you know, you might not receive an answer to your question because it falls under the category of an out of scope topic.   Here is a link to the TurboTax service agreement.

Sz
Returning Member

Hello,

I sold the first property with a 1031 exchange and also sold another rental property with gain and this property is not in 1031 exchange, as per IRS reg. we need to carry over relinquished properties PAL loss to replacement property. But when I input gain information it absorbed all the PAL from relinquished property loss as well. Do you think I am doing the correct approach?  

Would you please comment?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies