Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to handle rental properties mortgage payments when rental properties are under the LLC (deeds have been transferred) but mortgage loan is under my personal name?

Would it be okay to open a business checking account to collect monthly rental payments from renters and handle rental expenses and have a monthly automatic transfer to my personal account for the mortgage payment since the loan is under my name and not the LLC? This means the business account would for example transfer 2K to my personal saving account and then 2K would be paid from my personal savings account to the mortgage company every month. The rental properties title are under the LLC. Also would the property taxes deductions fall under the LLC then?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CathiM

How to handle rental properties mortgage payments when rental properties are under the LLC (deeds have been transferred) but mortgage loan is under my personal name?

If it is a single member LLC and you are the only member, it doesn't make a difference for tax purposes if the mortgage is under your name.  Mortgage lenders will usually not lend to a new business with no credit rating.  So this a common situation.

It would be cleaner to pay everything for the rental property including  the mortgage out of the LLC bank account, but not necessary for the tax deduction.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CathiM

If it is a single member LLC and you are the only member, it doesn't make a difference for tax purposes if the mortgage is under your name.  Mortgage lenders will usually not lend to a new business with no credit rating.  So this a common situation.

It would be cleaner to pay everything for the rental property including  the mortgage out of the LLC bank account, but not necessary for the tax deduction.

Thanks Cathi, just one follow up question. Do the property taxes and other deductions fall under the LLC or me personally? Do they have the same limits and restrictions? Thanks again.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies