turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EvelyneSMitchell
Returning Member

How to fill out a 1031 Exchange in TurboTax Premier

I need help with filling out a 1031 exchange in TurboTax Premier!
I have completed my tax return except for the 1031 exchange; I actually got a refund at that point. Here is what I have for my 1031 exchange.
I have a rental property given up, HUD statements for buying and selling the property (A). I did make a profit with the sale of property A.
I have a rental property received, HUD statements for buying and selling the property (B). I had a significant loss with the sale of property B.
I filled out Schedule E for the property received (B) up to the day before the sale.
I desperately need help from a 1031 tax expert and knowledge with TurboTax Premier. Thank you in advance for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@EvelyneSMitchell wrote:

I have a rental property given up, HUD statements for buying and selling the property (A). I did make a profit with the sale of property A.
I have a rental property received, HUD statements for buying and selling the property (B). I had a significant loss with the sale of property B.

These two statements are difficult to reconcile. If you did not use an exchange facilitator but, instead, merely sold one rental property and then purchased another in a situation where you were in actual or constructive receipt of the funds from property A, then there is no valid 1031 exchange; you have two separate transactions that do not qualify for deferred gain treatment.

Also, the online version (which appears in your profie) is not optimum; to report a 1031 exchange most users need Forms Mode which is only available in the desktop (installed) versions of TurboTax.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

There are several long threads on this very subject; a link to one of them appears below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-1031-exchange-for-rental-property-end-to-end-q...

@EvelyneSMitchell wrote:

These two statements are difficult to reconcile. If you did not use an exchange facilitator but, instead, merely sold one rental property and then purchased another in a situation where you were in actual or constructive receipt of the funds from property A, then there is no valid 1031 exchange; you have two separate transactions that do not qualify for deferred gain treatment.

Also, the online version (which appears in your profie) is not optimum; to report a 1031 exchange most users need Forms Mode which is only available in the desktop (installed) versions of TurboTax.

EvelyneSMitchell
Returning Member

I did use a "1031 Exchange.com"; however, the principals are in jail on corruption charges. I traced the attorney who corresponded with us and found his telephone number; however, after multiple calls, I never received a response.

I do use TurboTax Premier on my desk top and have tried to fill in form 8824, but some questions were very vague and after looking on the filled out form I just double my taxes! I also tried to delete the previously filled out forms 4797 (page 1 & 2) to no avail.

The form 8824 seems to take care of the given-up property; however, the loss of the property received is never addressed. At least that I can see.

@EvelyneSMitchell wrote:

I did use a "1031 Exchange.com"; however, the principals are in jail on corruption charges. I traced the attorney who corresponded with us and found his telephone number; however, after multiple calls, I never received a response.

That is not good - obviously. At this point, you might want to consult, in person, with a tax and/or legal professional - otherwise you are flying blind with respect to whether or not the exchange was in compliance with the Code and Regulations.

You might want to try contacting Support (link below) since they have been successful in walking other users through the data entry process.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

thinking

My corp did a 1031x with a facilitator and exhanged 2 properties for one.  I cant seem to do this on this program (plus my 2 properties have several improvements added each on the depreciation side so it is not adding the basis correctly and I am having issues also on correcting the disposal of asset section as they are seperated into seveal parts per improvements made at different dates)

Please advise

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies