turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dale59911
Returning Member

How do you procedurally enter the data into TurboTax for the sale of a rental property?

I have used TurboTax forever so all the data relating to this property is saved within TurboTax.  My situation is this:

Property purchased in 2005, is a 100% business use rental.  We never occupied the house for even one minute.  We had major improvements to the property that were entered and depreciated over the course of our ownership.  Our last tenant moved out May 17, 2018.  We advertised the property for rent and at the same time, listed the property for sale through a realtor.  The house was put under contract for sale Jun 03.  We continued to offer for rent, but nobody was really interested with the house under contract.  After the home inspection, the potential buyers backed out Jul 02, 2018,  After viewing the inspection report, we determined a major electrical upgrade was required.  Jul 05, we stopped advertising for rent.  We performed about $2500 of electrical work (put in a new breaker panel and the subsequent framing , sheet rocking, etc to put the wall back together.  Aug 10 the house was again under contract and closed in Sep 2018.  

I am aware of the fact that repairs, maintenance, etc as a rental would end on Jul 05.  I would contend that the electrical work is a non depreciated improvement necessary to pass an inspection for the subsequent sale.  I think the sale becomes not the sale of a rental house but an investment property.  Is this the correct approach?  If so, procedurally how is this entered into TTax to come up with the correct recapture of depreciation.  It does seem to want to allow you to "take it out of service" without entering a sale price.  

When you get to the sale of a business property, it wants you to enter the sales price-selling expense and accumulated depreciation.

Thanks for your help.  The way it is set up, sort of defies logic (much like our tax code).   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
dale59911
Returning Member

How do you procedurally enter the data into TurboTax for the sale of a rental property?

Figured it out.....

I had a similar question. Can you share what you did?

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

@davedaps If you sold a rental property, then click here for instructions to get started.

If you sold your investment property, then click here for instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TDS1690

I found the solution. After entering your rental information go on to the next sections until LESS COMMON BUSINESS SITUATIONS. There you will find at the bottom Sale of Business property.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies