TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
181 people found this useful

Where do I enter investment sales?

When you sell stocks, bonds, mutual funds, or other securities, you should get Form 1099-B from your brokerage by mid-February. Simply enter the form into TurboTax to report the sale.

But what about non-security investment sales like coins, collectibles, timber, land, or a second home? Here's how you enter those:

  1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search box, search for investment sales then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you sell any investments?
    • If you land on the Here's the investment sales we have so far screen, click Add More Sales.
  4. Answer No to the 1099-B question.
  5. On the next screen, select the type of sale you had (second home, collectible, land etc.) and click Continue.
  6. Continue following the onscreen instructions to enter the sale.