turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dmwjr1337

It says i have capital gains or losses (schedule d), but i have no idea what this is and how it applies to me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
ThomasM

It says i have capital gains or losses (schedule d), but i have no idea what this is and how it applies to me.

If you didn't sell stock or property, then it could be coming from a Form 1099-DIV, box 2a.  If you have mutual funds, then sometimes you'll receive capital gain income based on your shares in the fund.

This often confuses folks, since they know they didn't sell any stocks or funds, yet capital gains still show up on their return.

dmwjr1337

how do i remove 1099-DIV box2a?
ThomasM

Do you own mutual funds?

box 2a is part of your gross income and is taxable. It would not be wise to fail to report those amounts.
dmwjr1337

i dont even really know what those are, i use the robbinhood app, would that apply?
dmwjr1337

i have made no money on robbinhood, but i still added my account to turbotax
ThomasM

Since Robinhood is a financial services company, there's a strong likelihood that your capital gains amount is coming from them.  If you don't have any documents from them, then you need to make a phone call.  Just tell them that you want to confirm if you received any capital gains, and what it was for.  They'll tell you.
dmwjr1337

So if i didnt how would i procede? As turbotax is requiring me to purchase deluxe to file.
ThomasM

My advice is to put your return on hold for a day while you find out the answer to the cap gains question.  Assuming you do have cap gains, you will need to upgrade to Deluxe in order to file.  The Free Edition does not prepare a Schedule D, which is what you'll need.
dmwjr1337

Thomas, i was able to find my documentation for robbinhood, anything particular that i am looking for?
ThomasM

Form 1099-DIV, for starters.
ThomasM

If you don't have a 1099-DIV with a figure in box 2a, then you'll look for a 1099-B.  That's the form for stock sales.  If you know you didn't make money, then it could be that you have a capital loss, which would also require a Schedule D.
dmwjr1337

its says its a 1099-B , then says your account did not receive a 1099-DIV , 1099-INT , 1099-OID , 1099-MISC
dmwjr1337

looks like $.33
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies