victor-walker

How do I reflect selling/losing part of an asset that is depreciating over time?

I had had a dress rental business that we are closing.  We put the dresses in as depreciating assets (as a lump asset).  We sold a few of the dresses, donated some, and half of them were stolen (embezzled).  How do I reflect that in the system?  How do I remove just part of an asset that has been depreciating (we were using a 5 year depreciation and this is year 3).  We anticipate selling or donating the rest this year.
Cattlerancher

Sure. This can be done but gets more difficult when the assets are not fully depreciated. Here is a link to an answer I gave earlier in the season, but they were fully depreciated. The difference is when you re-enter the assets you sold/disposed of, you will need to calculate the prior depreciation taken. Average your cost basis and average your depreciation taken on each asset. Your sale prices can be entered when sold, when given to charity or stolen, enter $0 for a sale price. This will remove them from your Depreciation Report for next year.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3876890-have-grouping-of-assets-in-turbotax-took-179-depre-sold-on...

I'm looking for another answer I helped with where the OP added how he managed the calculation and then added that information at the end of his own question.