Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I reconcile points I paid on my original rental property mortgage when I refinance? Do I keep them as an amortorized entity or convert it to a rental expense?

Original loan was 3 years ago. I refinanced with a different lender.  Do I keep the remaining amortorized points in place to be deducted over time, or do I stop the amortorization of these points and include the remaining amount this year as a rental expense?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do I reconcile points I paid on my original rental property mortgage when I refinance? Do I keep them as an amortorized entity or convert it to a rental expense?

do I stop the amortorization of these points and include the remaining amount this year as a rental expense?  Yes ... this is the correct handling.

Carl
Level 15

It depends.

If you refinanced with the same lender, you add the remaining amount to be amortized on the old loan, to the amount of the new loan. Then that new total gets amortized over the life of the new loan.

If you refinanced with a different lender, then the points on the old loan are fully deductible in the year of the refi. Here's how you do that in TurboTax.

In the Assets/Depreciation section for that rental property, elect to edit/update the entry for your points.

- On the "Review Information" screen click Continue.

- On the "Did you stop using this asset 2021?" screen, click YES.

- On the "Disposition Information" screen, in the disposition date box enter the date you closed on the new loan. Then click Continue.

- On the "Special Handling Required?" screen, click YES.

- On the "Depreciation Deduction Amount" screen, select Transfer These Fees For Me To Other Expenses. Then click Continue.

You'll see the remaining fees of the old loan to be deducted in the Rental Expenses section, very last screen of that section. The entry will start with "Unrealized Refinancing Fees...."

To enter the points for your new loan.

here's how to enter the points in the Assets/Depreciation section.. (does not apply to entering the property itself, or any other property assets.)
- Select the Add and Asset button. (go straight to the asset summary if presented that option)
- Select Intangibles/Other Property, then continue.
- Select Amortizable Intangibles, then continue.
- Describe it as something like "2021 Financing Fees".  Then enter the amount, and the closing date of the loan. Then continue.
- Select "purchased new", then "100% business use", enter the closing date of the loan (again), then continue.
- Code section is 163:Loan Fees, then continue.
- Useful LIfe in Years is the length of the loan, then continue.
- You can "show details" if you like. Then continue, and that does it

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies