Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I obtain line 4a of form 4952, Investment Interest expense deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How do I obtain line 4a of form 4952, Investment Interest expense deduction?

This, from the 4952 instructions:

Gross income from property held for investment includes income, unless derived in the ordinary course of a trade or business, from interest, ordinary dividends (except Alaska Permanent Fund dividends), annuities, and royalties. Include investment income reported to you on Schedule K-1 from a partnership or an S corporation. Also include net investment income from an estate or a trust. Also include on line 4a (or 4d, if applicable) net passive income from a passive activity of a publicly traded partnership (as defined in section 469(k)(2)). See Regulations sections 1.469-10 and 1.7704-1 (including the transition rule of section 1.7704-1(l)), for details. Net income from certain passive activities, such as rental of substantially nondepreciable property, may have to be recharacterized and included on line 4a.

Turbo Tax figures it for you automatically, but if you want a manual calculation, it's

line 8 of your 1040 + line 9 of your 1040 + annuity income (reported on 16b) + royalties (reported on line 17).

1.       Go to My Account. 

2.       Go to Tools. 

3.       Go to View Tax Summary. 

4.       Go to Preview my 1040.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies