Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter the land portion for the sale of rental property on Form 4797 for Part I, 2 ? Building portion for Part III ?

The way it was entered, both the land and building are showing in Part III
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

How do I enter the land portion for the sale of rental property on Form 4797 for Part I, 2 ? Building portion for Part III ?

Since land is not depreciable, it needs to be included in Part I Form 4797.

Go back to your entries where you would separate out the land from the building.

Where are  “…the entries where you would separate out the land from the building…”?

I found a place at the bottom of the rental for sold rentals  or  Sale of Business Property?

How do I show it was inherited in 10/2008?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You would have needed to enter that at the beginning.

Carl
Level 15

I found that for unknown reasons the program reports the land in part III. But since it's not depreciated it doesn't make any difference on "the bottom line". I've not yet taken the time to dig into and research this myself. But I do recall that last year when helping someone that had a situation of selling a rental property and two lots, where the rental structure sat on one of the lots and that was sold separate from the empty lot. We had to do some fancy dancing to get that empty lot to show up on PART I. But we did it. Also discovered then that it made no difference in the bottom line either.

But I do agree that there may be a program issue. It could also be a case where the rental was incorrectly set up in the program from the get-go too. But like I said, I've not taken the time to research it myself.

Carl,

Apparently I didn’t see the “Rental property sold” at the bottom of the page where rental income and costs are reported. 
click on the rental was sold, fill out correctly  and Form 4797 will populate.  This only took me 4 days!!!  Lol 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies