turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I add remodeling expense to the cost basis of a rental home. where do I enter it on the form

I purchased a rental home in 2014 and rented it out. I remodeled the home in 2015 and need to adjust the cost basis to reflect the $30,000 in remodeling expense. where do I add that cost. on the form it show $30,000 but not the prior year cost basis

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

How do I add remodeling expense to the cost basis of a rental home. where do I enter it on the form

How you enter the remodeling costs will depend on what types of improvements were made.

Any improvements with a useful life of more than one year (e.g. deck, appliances, insulated windows, carpeting, cabinets, bathtubs, tile-work, exterior paint) are entered as depreciable assets in the Your Property Assets interview screen found in the Sale of Property/Depreciation section of Federal Taxes tab > Wages and Income category > Rental Properties and Royalties subcategory > Your Rental Summary.

Any costs with a useful life of less than one year (e.g. interior painting, minor repairs) are entered in the Expenses section of Federal Taxes tab > Wages and Income category > Rental Properties and Royalties subcategory > Your Rental Summary.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

How you enter the remodeling costs will depend on what types of improvements were made.

Any improvements with a useful life of more than one year (e.g. deck, appliances, insulated windows, carpeting, cabinets, bathtubs, tile-work, exterior paint) are entered as depreciable assets in the Your Property Assets interview screen found in the Sale of Property/Depreciation section of Federal Taxes tab > Wages and Income category > Rental Properties and Royalties subcategory > Your Rental Summary.

Any costs with a useful life of less than one year (e.g. interior painting, minor repairs) are entered in the Expenses section of Federal Taxes tab > Wages and Income category > Rental Properties and Royalties subcategory > Your Rental Summary.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies