turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get TurboTax to correctly report capital gains adjustments on Sch D Part II(g) and Form 8949?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

How can I get TurboTax to correctly report capital gains adjustments on Sch D Part II(g) and Form 8949?

I'm not quite sure what you want to adjust, but after you've entered the base transaction from your 1099-B.  There is an option on the bottom [I'll enter additional info on my own].  This will give you a host of additional opportunities to make adjustments.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But I don’t have a 1099-B. I have a 1099-S and need to make adjustments to the gain to account for selling expenses (column (g) on Schedule D). 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you have a 1095-S you sold a property.  It could have been your home, a second home or a rental property. 

You will go to the INCOME section of your return and go to:

1. I'll choose what I work on
  2. Scroll to the bottom
  3. Less Common Income
  4. You will see sale of Home

That section is not applicable as I do not have a 1095-S; I have a 1099-S (sale of land, long term asset, held for personal use). 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Go to though the Investments section again, and look for the checkbox - then it will open and you can enter the selling expenses.

@hall-amanda

Thanks - that’s exactly the screen that I need, but are you using the software version (as opposed to TurboTax online? I’m using the online version and don’t get that option/checkbox from the investments section. 

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

You can click "See all tax breaks" at the bottom of the Income & Expenses list or you can use the search box toward the upper right corner to search for "1099-S". 

Neither of those options work for inputting selling expenses for a long-term capital asset in order to take an appropriate adjustment to the taxable gains. 

enter it as a home sale, and turbotax will allow a selling expense adjustment.

OR

just make the adjustment directly in cost or other basis.

Thanks, it worked.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies