Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Holly Energy Partner and HF Sinclair Merger

Hello,

I owned stock from HEP that was purchased by DINO and went through a stock + cash merger.  The merger resulted in a cash payment $4/share and issue of 0.315 shares of DINO for 1 share of HEP.  For my 1099 B, it appears to show the short term gain/loss correctly and the long term makes no sense to me and the Schwab guy didnt understand it either.  He noted he thinks the merger was a 368a but does not seem to be reported even though it has been 45 days, and method for value change would be fair market value HEP at time of merger + cash minus original cost basis.  For me this would be a loss, but on my 1099B the cost and proceeds look incorrect and on the 1099B it says "not reported to IRS" and shows a delta of a few dollars for net gain/loss.

here is all i can find on it - http://s21.q4cdn.com/[removed]/files/doc_downloads/2023/12/hfs-merger-faq-final-12-05-2023.pdf

My question is does it matter?  Google seems to imply a 368a gain/loss cannot be claimed.  Or is that incorrect and i should be trying to make Schwab correct my 1099B to reflect what i stated above?  Or am I completely off?

Thanks, Jason

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Were you able to get his resolved? Did you have further questions?

@calo45487 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am waiting on Schwab to answer. I agree with what you posted loss should be claimed on 1099B so seems like their error. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies